Honors and Achievements
- 2014 CNY PGA Section Teacher of the Year
- 2008 CNY PGA Section Teacher of the Year – Click here for Award Video
- 2004-06 Golf Magazine “Top 400 Teachers in the United States”
- 2003 Placed 10th of 110 in the Philadelphia Open- Huntington Valley CC
- 2003 Golf Magazine “Top 400 Teachers in the United States” Feb. 2003
- 2001 Golf Digest ranking “Top 20 teachers in New York”
- 2000 Golf Magazine ranking “Top 400 teachers in the United States”
- 2000 Winner of the Metropolitan P.G.A. Pro-Pro Championship.
- 1998 CNY PGA Section Teacher of the Year
- 1997 &1998 Participant in Regional United States Open Qualifier.
- 1996 Obtained P.G.A. Member status
- 1994-1995 Vice President, CNY PGA Assistant Association
- 1991, 1992 Captain of the St. Bonaventure University Golf Team
- 1990, 1992 Two- time recipient of the “Leo Keenan” Award for Outstanding Participation, St. Bonaventure
- 1992 Atlantic 10 Conference All-Academic, St. Bonaventure Golf Team
The Rest of the Story
In October of 1998, I was among the youngest ever PGA Member to be awarded a section Teacher of the Year at age 28 in the Central New York Section of the PGA of America. Since that time I have learned much and continue to learn.
In 1999, I had the opportunity to work for one of the finest instructors in the country at the Doral Golf Resort and Spa, Jim McLean. It is Jim who not only shaped my teaching, I also learned how to identify and research other teachers’ philosophies via use of video analysis. The Jim McLean Golf School is arguably the best in the country in training others how to teach. While I was at Doral other staff instructors I studied under included Top 100 Golf Magazine Instructors, Mike Lopuszynski, Jeff Warne and Dave Collins.
The training at the school was second to none; all Master Instructors were skilled at conducting clinics, golf schools and providing the best in private lessons.
Most recently, I have been fortunate to work very closely with Jim Hardy, John Hobbins and Mike LaBauve. I have worked with Jim Hardy on four different occasions prior to and subsequent to the publishing of his book, “ The Plane Truth for Golfers ” . Jim Hardy is the most knowledgeable golf instructor of our time. I have spent thousands of hours reviewing video and validating his theories.
Four principles that I have applied to continue my quest for being a great instructor are to:
- Never stop learning
- Have a high golf IQ
- Be familiar with not only what Jim McLean teaches, but what all great teachers teach i.e. David Ledbetter, Butch Harmon, Mac O’Grady, Rick Smith, Jim Hardy, etc.
- Make a valid argument regarding instruction; back it up with video analysis.